Monday, September 7, 2009

First real post

Now I hope that if you are reading this you are aware that I am in Rome studying for the semester, but new readers are welcome too. Not to toot my own horn but I know that there are quite a few people out there that want to know what I am doing. Now you can check in here instead of waiting for my response to your message, fb comment, email, etc… Which I apologize in advance may take me a couple days. I might not post everyday I just may lead that exciting a life that I have enough to talk about everyday (doubt it).
I arrived in Rome last Wednesday September 2nd, a day later after the airline messed up. I still don’t have many nice things to say about United Airlines. The only plus side out of the whole ordeal was that I got to see the Alps while flying to Rome from Frankfurt.
My first real day in Rome (Thursday) Temple arranged for some of the professors to give us a tour around some of the city center. My roommate and I walked to the campus from the residence it is quite a far walk (40 minutes).
The professor was cool (sorry I can’t remember her name) and showed us a bunch of things. We took a bus, she showed us how to read the bus signs and where to get passes. We went to an espresso bar and got coffee and learned what each should cost. She brought out her map and showed us the routes places then took us to large bookstore where we could get one like hers. We quickly went to a bunch of piazzas not really sight seeing but learning where to eat good and cheap. The last thing we did was get pizza, which was the first thing I really ate here.
Nothing really happened Friday or Saturday. I can’t remember anything significant so I doubt there was any.
Sunday we all woke up early and went to the town Todi in Umbria, which is the region to the north of Lazio/where Rome is. The town was pretty cool. Here is what Wiki has to say http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todi. After Todi we went to Titignano. It is this fancy schamcy estate of this old lord from like the 19th century. Today it is somewhat of a resort. They set up banquets for the almost 200 of us who went, with 5 courses of (free for us students) food. Apparently they made their own wine and olive oil, and every other part of what we ate. The place was in the middle of what seemed to be nowhere, good luck finding it. Wikipedia doesn’t even have an English entry for it.
Now that I pretty much caught up to today…the first day of school. Not hard at all, had Italian 101 for an hour and that was my whole day. Made dinner of pasta and salad (which happens to be totally vegan) and went out with the girls for some gelato and a walk. We walked to St. Peter’s, which was only like 20 minutes from the residence. The Basilica is so pretty.
Sorry this wasn’t very detailed but I really wanted to get this off the ground and catch up on what has happened. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment